ISSN : 2146-3123
E-ISSN : 2146-3131

Detection of Methicillin Resistance and Various Virulence Factors in Staphylococcus aureus Strains Isolated from Nasal Carriers
Hatice Türk Dağı 1, Duygu Fındık 1, Gamze Demirel 1, Uğur Arslan 1
1Department of Microbiology, Selçuk University Faculty of Medicine, Konya, Turkey
DOI : 10.5152/balkanmedj.2015.150186
Pages : 171-175


Background: Staphylococus aureus can be found as a commensal on skin and nasal flora or it may cause local and invasive infections. S. aureus has a large number of virulence factors.

Aims: To investigate the methicillin resistance and frequency of various virulence factors in S. aureus nasal isolates.

Study Design: Descriptive study.

Methods: Nasal samples collected from university students were cultured in media. S. aureus was identified by conventional methods and the Staphyloslide latex test (Becton Dickinson, Sparks, USA). Antibiotic susceptibility tests were conducted, and the methicillin resistance was determined. The mecA, nuc, pvl and staphylococcal toxin genes were examined by polymerase chain reaction (PCR).

Results: S. aureus was isolated in 104 of 600 (17.3%) nasal samples. In total, 101 (97.1%) S. aureus isolates were methicillin-sensitive and the remaining 3 (2.9%) were methicillin-resistant. Furthermore, all but five isolates carried at least one staphylococcal enterotoxin gene, with seg being predominant. The tst and eta genes were determined in 29 (27.9%), and 3 (2.9%) isolates,  respectively. None of the S. aureus isolates harbored see, etb, and pvl genes.

Conclusion: A moderate rate of S. aureus carriage and low frequency of MRSA were detected in healthy students. S. aureus isolates had a high prevalence of staphylococcal enterotoxin genes and the tst gene. In this study, a large number of virulence factors were examined in S. aureus nasal isolates, and the data obtained from this study can be used for monitoring the prevalence of virulence genes in S. aureus strains isolated from nasal carriers.

Keywords : Methicillin resistance, Staphylococcus aureus, virulence factors

Viewed : 3168
Downloaded : 8172