ISSN : 2146-3123
E-ISSN : 2146-3131

A 3 Year-Old Male Child Ingested Approximately 750 Grams of Elemental Mercury
Metin Uysalol 1, Güneş Parlakgül 1, Yasin Yılmaz 1, Agop Çıtak 1, Nedret Uzel 1
1Department of Pediatrics, İstanbul University İstanbul School of Medicine, İstanbul, Turkey
DOI : 10.5152/balkanmedj.2016.15197
Pages : 467-469


Background: The oral ingestion of elemental mercury is unlikely to cause systemic toxicity, as it is poorly absorbed through the gastrointestinal system. However, abnormal gastrointestinal function or anatomy may allow elemental mercury into the bloodstream and the peritoneal space. Systemic effects of massive oral intake of mercury have rarely been reported.

Case Report: In this paper, we are presenting the highest ingle oral intake of elemental mercury by a child aged 3 years. A Libyan boy aged 3 years ingested approximately 750 grams of elemental mercury and was still asymptomatic.

Conclusion: The patient had no existing disease or abnormal gastrointestinal function or anatomy. The physical examination was normal. His serum mercury level was 91 μg/L (normal: <5 μg/L), and he showed no clinical manifestations. Exposure to mercury in children through different circumstances remains a likely occurrence.

Keywords : Intoxication, mercury, supportive therapy

Viewed : 2881
Downloaded : 8103