ISSN : 2146-3123
E-ISSN : 2146-3131

A Historical Review on the Edirne Municipality Hospital: Documentary Materials Published in Edirne Newspaper about the Hospital
Nilüfer Gökçe 1
1Trakya Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Tıp Tarihi ve Deontoloji Anabilim Dalı, Edirne
Pages : 36-41

Abstract

The Edirne Municipality Hospital was founded in 1866 under the auspices of Edirne Municipality and with public contribution. It was a fairly modern health organization among its equivalents at that time. The Reşadiye Pavilion was built at the hospital in 1908 by the order of Sultan Mehmet Reşat, and, after the Balkan War, a department of epidemic illnesses was added. The hospital had a pharmacy serving 24 hours, as well. People in poverty received treatment free of charge, including medications provided by the pharmacy in the hospital.

Records of all the patients admitted to the hospital were kept. At the end of each month, an overall activity report was prepared to be presented to the health authorities. These reports were also published in the Edirne newspaper, an official newspaper of the governorate, to inform the public about hospital affairs. In this historical review, the Edirne Municipality Hospital is presented, together with relevant documentation published in the Edirne newspaper, to provide insight into a yearly activity of this hospital, which no longer exists today.

Keywords : Edirne; history, 19th century; hospitals, municipal; hospital records
Viewed : 2354
Downloaded : 743